Monday, October 20, 2008

Is there a feeling of apathy among first-year Rhodes University students regarding HIV/Aids testing?

Many first year students at Rhodes University have had a sheltered, protected upbringing, not having been directly exposed to issues like HIV/Aids. They have learnt the text-book version of the virus at school but personally feel removed. “It is something we learnt to death about at school but it remained a disease that affected other people, not me.”

Coming to Rhodes’ University, first year students are constantly bombarded with all kinds of campaigns and awareness weeks, into which many of them dive with great enthusiasm. Rape Awareness Week, Gay Rights awareness campaigns, HIV/Aids awareness week. It is easy to walk around campus with your mouth taped shut, or to wear a red ribbon on your shirt to show your support for those affected. For some, these issues may affect them personally but the majority of students are fighting the plights of unknown individuals. How do their views change when they are asked to bring these issues closer to home? How many respond when asked to potentially place themselves in the positions of those suffering? How many of the HIV/Aids supporters will actually get themselves tested?

Not enough. According to an article featured in the Daily Dispatch, only 1200 Rhodes’ University staff and students participated in a research project headed by the Higher Education HIV/Aids Programme (HEAIDS) this year. Part of this research included a free HIV/Aids test. Of a student body of over 6000, only 1200 people, including staff, cared enough to have themselves tested. Rhodes University is one of four universities in the country to offer free testing, as well as counseling. Why don’t more students take this opportunity?

A first year male friend recently declined an offer of coffee as he had “to do something” that day. After some probing, it turned out that he had made an appointment to get tested for HIV/Aids at the San. Another male friend, a second year student, also made an appointment at the same time. I believed that this was a marvelously brave thing for them to be doing, especially as neither of them were promiscuous in any way, and was surprised that their motive was purely “to know”. I decided that I too wanted to be tested but was somewhat nervous to go myself, so approached my friends.

I told them that I wanted to be tested for HIV/Aids and asked who wanted to go with me. I was greeted with shocked silence. And then the excuses began. “I’m scared of needles”, “I’m not having sex so it doesn’t matter”, “I know I don’t have Aids”. I was appalled, so asked other first year students how they felt about getting tested. All the answers were similar.

I couldn’t believe it. Clearly these first years, who claimed to be HIV/Aids conscious, had no intention of finding out their status –even though the most student-friendly environment had been set up. Testing was free at the San, pre- and post-counseling provided, and the whole process was finished in less than an hour. What was the problem? If they were so sure that they were HIV/Aids free, why wouldn’t they get tested?
I believe that this is a common mentality of not only first years, but students in general. All students love a good fight and love to stand up for a good cause, but none of them believe that the issues they are fighting for could actually happen to them. We all believe that we are invincible and immune to contracting HIV/Aids. We like to make ourselves feel better by standing up for others but we will not put ourselves in their places, in case the outcome is not what we thought it would be.

Here is a challenge to all students – Ignorance will not change anything, and change begins with you. Before you can go out and save the world you need to save yourself. Make it your business to know your HIV/Aids status, it might save a life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...


I can't stop thanking Prophet suleman for this Great thing that he has just done in my life, I am so so greatful to him, i was suffering from HIV seizures and kidney failure when i contacted Prophet suleman after reading the wonderful testimony that people has been sharing about him, when i contacted him, he assure me that he will cure me with his herbal medicine and now he really did so, and i am now completely cured from my HIV seizures and kidney failure. What will i say rather than thanking him for rescue my life, Anybody Reading this wonderful testimony, should please contact Prophet suleman if you have any problem, here is his email: prophetsuleman@hotmail.com

Unknown said...


I can't stop thanking Prophet suleman for this Great thing that he has just done in my life, I am so so greatful to him, i was suffering from HIV seizures and kidney failure when i contacted Prophet suleman after reading the wonderful testimony that people has been sharing about him, when i contacted him, he assure me that he will cure me with his herbal medicine and now he really did so, and i am now completely cured from my HIV seizures and kidney failure. What will i say rather than thanking him for rescue my life, Anybody Reading this wonderful testimony, should please contact Prophet suleman if you have any problem, here is his email: prophetsuleman@hotmail.com