Monday, October 20, 2008

Weekend Special

I think now, more than ever I understand exactly how Brenda Fassie felt when she sang that song, “Weekend Special”. It’s the saddest thing. To be let to have the time of your life, thinking it will last forever, soaking up the gladness, only to be left high and dry, when Monday morning comes along. I never thought I would let myself experience such until I arrived in the increasingly amazing town of Grahamstown.

It’s official, sunlight in Grahamstown is a weekend special. For those of you like me who are avid sunlight lovers, you must have been glad to wake up on Friday morning to discover that there was a significantly high amount of sunlight. As you may have noticed and enjoyed, it only lasted for the weekend. It’s Monday morning and lo and behold the Sun is missing again. Funny enough the same thing happened last weekend. Grahamstown enjoyed a weekend of sunlight and gladness as people popped out their mini’s and shorts, and some even went to the local swimming pool to cool off. It was good while it lasted. It’s Monday again, and the Sun is nowhere to be found. ***sigh*** Don’t put your sunscreen lotion and shorts too far away, I’m willing to bet a reasonable amount of money that by Friday, the Sun will return in all it’s glory! Enjoy the week: wind, clouds and all!

2 comments:

readingrocks said...

You have written a very good piece considering I was one of those that took their little shorts and sunglasses to the pool. I liked the whole idea of using Brenda Fassie’s song, it was clever; however, I did not enjoy reading your piece that much because I felt it was a bit confusing, your argument is not clear. I mean you go on about the sun being a special thing in Grahamstown, I was just wondering where you come from because really, if you are a South African then you cant claim that there are places where the sun does not light in high amount, like you had never experienced sunlight before coming to Rhodes. And the sun does not light only on weekends, it happens during the week as well. I also noticed a bit of gramma mistakes otherwise, good job. Readingrocks.

Gaopalelwe said...

Hayi Lolo. This is not my opinion piece. It was another attempt to get extra marks from Mr Kyazze. Thanks for the comment though!