Sunday, October 26, 2008

When all is said and done...

It has been a hectic year for all of us new to the career world. It has not been easy grasping the concepts and holding on to the way university life is designed. All in all I am happy that I have managed to keep moving and I have learnt plenty throughout the year. Journalism has especially taught me all the things I am not. One big lesson was that I am not super woman. I am human and thus have to work my way through all my subjects just like any other person here at Rhodes. I have learnt through my lack f commitment that achievement comes with hard work. This shone through in my results for the June exams; I got the shock and the fright of my life.

My choices in journalism were made purely to get to the next day. I never paid much attention to the requirements journalism made for my work. Perhaps it is because I was not preparing to do Jms2 therefore I just did the required work. Never the less I still made no effort in the work I did. This pulled me down tremendously. I feel because I did not put any effort in my work, and got a mediocre result for my exams, the feeling of me being unintelligent and not built for university settled in me more than it should have.
I have grown so much since I first arrived in grahams town. I have grown into a better woman and a better learner. I give myself a 8 out of 10 for growth. I am more willing to give myself into the work I have come to dedicate myself to. I am more aware of the consequences. And I just really have no other choice than to work my heart into journalism for good results. One great lesson I have learnt from not putting in my effort is that journalism does not need me, I need journalism and even though I have no interest in it for 2nd year, I still need the credit journalism has for me in order to get my degree.

Overally journalism as a course has not been as many students expected including me. I felt it could have offered so much more in theory and I felt lecturing could have focused more on the theory of journalism. There were many loose ends to the course and perhaps I did not grasp the point behind the course structure but I feel this is part of the reason I could not get a grip on journalism.Blogging is journalism. It was rather a waste as it did not feel properly designed as a course and could be offered as part of another course for the following years. Blogging as a course in itself is however not fleshy enough and did not feel like a proper learning experience like Anthea’s or Priscilla’s course.

I learnt a lot in writing and in group work. It taught me how I work so much better on my own that in a group. When given a personal opinion writing piece I did well, but when it came to group work I struggled to work. It taught me that I need to work on my quality of research. I have enjoyed the rough times in journalism. It has opened up my eyes toward myself, so that I see within myself my will to work and achieve.

My weaknesses when I first arrived are a thing of the past. When I look at my lessons I feel I have jumped a very high hurdle. I have managed to realize my mistakes and thus have time to redeem myself. I did a lot of partying and no studying. I made the mistake of thinking university was a walk over because of the misleading seniors talking and work load I received. Failing every subject (not just one) showed me that I was in a different world. Coming back to Rhodes and deciding not to give up shows me that I am a strong person and I have a strong will.

Now looking into the exam weeks and the years to come I feel hopeful that I will do very well for the things I work hard for. It is not easy. I have worked hard to discipline myself, and tough I am still human and make mistakes I do my best to get it right the first time. I pray God will bless the fruit of my labour and take me to where He wants me to go.

No comments: