Saturday, September 27, 2008

Dear Rae,

I trust that you are well and hope school is going well for you. I have been coping better since the first day I arrived here. Its crazy how time has passed and how I have had constant battle to grow in this world that I though would be my freedom. I tell you one thing for sure, the real battle starts in university. Nothing is as easy as it seems.

When I got here, I though life would be a breeze. That is advice from the hard working and orientation week that distorted my vision. My failure to a strong head state hindered me immensely. It took me a lot to recover from the huge culture shock. I first went the wrong directing. I felt I needed alcohol to put a smile on my face. Every week I would fall deeper into a dark hole and I could not get my feet to stand.

Come exam time I really lost myself. I did not know that I would think of all the time I wasted, wasting money and playing with hard working people who know how to balance their time. I failed so badly I almost didn’t return. I bit my lip and decided to come back though because something in me kept saying real failure is when one doesn’t try harder. The talk I had with my father also made me stronger in that he reassured me that even though I messed up I can still get back on my feet is I just focus.

My talk with God really opened the door for me because he told me that I am capable of anything if I just believe. I went through a rough time but I am happy to say I am on my feet and I don’t even party anymore. I have focused myself on the things this institution has in store for me. After all that is my vision.

I hope all is well for you, and I hope you learn from my experience.

Love
Rachel

No comments: