Friday, September 26, 2008

To vote or not to vote-eintlik you don't have a choice anymore

If you were one of the victims of my registration abuse, then you can log off or read another post. For the rest of you all, read on and learn.

I find myself deeply angered and irritated by young South Africans who refuse to register to vote in the coming elections. The common excuse is that they do not know who they will vote for, since the ruling party is being run by a man who many do not see fit as a leader for a country. It is for that very reason that EVERYBODY(including those who see election day as an excuse to stay in bed) should register to vote. What angers me most about these people that think they should rather not vote, is that they are the same people who sit and whine about the situation in South Africa, and "how SA is going down the drain". You see that's one thing I don't understand about people who find fault in the world: how do they expect it to change if they do not stop warming seats and do something about the faults themselves.

We have heard and are probably sick of hearing about how people were put into jail and tortured and killed, while seeking justice from the ruling government of the apartheid era. These people fought for the right that some of my young black peers are denying.THE RIGHT TO VOTE. I am angered. My young black peers might as well spit on the graves of uSteve Biko and spit in the face of TatuNelson Mandela. After all that they and thousands more went through to grant the black man this right, the young black man still has the nerve to deny it. Haai, ka nnete, truly, I do not understand.

Granted: With Thabo Mbeki gone, those who are not Zuma supporters, may feel like that there is not much choice, but that is the reason why election candidates have campaigns. The best will reveal himself. You will know. I refuse to believe that South Africa has turned into a Zimbabwe and that this is a another one-man-race.

My beautiful young ones, I urge of you to do this for South Africa. Right now the fate of our land either lies in the hands of Zuma supporters or of those who support "otherwise". For most of you reading it will be your first opportunity to vote. Your first opportunity to take a stand and sway the fate of South Africa. You young one who are contemplating not participating, your vote could be the vote that sways the votes from Zuma to "Non-Zuma"(I am just as confused as most of you).

Vote, according to me, we as the youth hoping for a successful South Africa do not have a choice.

No comments: